Thursday, July 10, 2008

Anaphylactic shock? Check...


Well, it's confirmed now...chau is allergic to yellow jackets...Tuesday I set out to rid Sarah's back porch of some yellow jackets - my hubris was struck down from the gods above and I learned some valuable lessons:

a) do not attempt to plug up a yellow jacket nest in the mid morning sunlight armed with a hoodie/skirt outfit, and a caulking gun filled with silicone (especially when said gun has old silicone in it that has since dried up in 2006, which leads to the obvious perhaps: always test your caulking gun before relying on it when your life is at stake - in whatever situation that may be..)
b) yellow jackets can sting you through a woolen hoodie like no tomorrow
c) one sting is all it takes to send one into anaphylactic shock and go to the hospital if you are indeed allergic
d) First aid refresher courses come in handy ( I took one the week before)
e) If exhibiting symptoms of an allergic reaction (hives, itchiness, tightening in chest/trouble breathing, take a benedryl and call 911 (or in my case, with student health insurance - drive yourself dangerously to the closest medical area and mill about the hospital in search of the urgent care while attempting to maintain a calm demeanor covered in scary hives - I got a lot of weird looks from older patients awaiting to dispense their urine in the laboratory)
f) the nurses at group health urgent care are very nice and helpful - I got many a warm blanket and crackers during my stay, and tasty tasty benedryl - god that hits the spot...

So, an IV hookup to some steroids and a ton of benedryl, a respiratory treatment, and a ton of benedryl again later, I was out of Group Health after 4 hrs of resting...the hives have subsided for the most part, but the slightest itch and I pop a benedryl for fear of the hives returning, which puts me pretty useless on the brain front...

now I get to carry around an epi pen!! I've always wondered about that...I've never been stung by a bee or wasp before - just mosquitos and no-see-ums...so I guess it's good to know now!!

hugs and kisses.
ct

No comments: