Saturday, November 8, 2008

I still beam with pride and joy and happiness when I read articles like this one today on the nytimes.com

For the last 8 years I've stared at people who got teary eyed when talking about W and thought - "WTF?" how could they possibly believe in that guy? Is he selling his message laced with crack? How can they put so much faith in someone like THAT? Is it because he has the position of President of the United States? Is it because he embodies some sort of ideal they look up to? I just didn't get it...I wasn't filled with that love and unquestioning faith for that man.

And here we are now...a new president elect, someone that I giggle at the sound of his voice, the mention of his name. As if it were a new summer fling that got me twitterpatted...tears well up, I smile uncontrollably, and my heart just damn well aches of hope and happiness...is it just because I'm super emotional right now? perhaps...is it because we FINALLY have some symbol of honor in that position finally? Whatever the case, I hope it's not just the honeymoon stage...

“McCain pointed a lot of fingers instead of giving answers,” Steve O’Connor, a plumber, told me.

Mr. Obama’s message, on the other hand, seemed like it had entered some voters by IV injection. “I don’t want a clone of George Bush,” Mark Maxwell, 47, a corporate chef, said. “With McCain, that’s exactly what we’d get.”

Said Lisa Winslow, a 20-year-old college student: “I’m not rich. I can’t afford to vote for McCain.”

“We’re like a trillion dollars in debt and spending what, $10 billion a month on the war?” said Andrew Brehaut, 25, a waiter.

Levittown is filled with a great many veterans of the Vietnam War, not all of whom served happily. “I didn’t want to be there when I was told to go,” said Frank Carr, 62, who recently retired from his shipping job in a corrugated box factory. “I know how the boys feel. I believe Obama is a man of his word.”

When Mr. Obama says he is going to bring home the troops, “I believe him,” Mr. Carr said.

:)
The full article here.

No comments: