Monday, April 13, 2009

Been awhile...

Sigh...so let's start off by saying I dropped my phone in the toilet...yeah...let this get out to Vija and she can berate me via email or voicemail. The phone is currently sitting in a tupperware of rice that I am told will help it dry..apparently this exact conversation of how to save drowning cell phones went on yesterday during Easter fun at my place. Geez...

Aside from that the weekend was good - Easter potluck at my place, I roasted a turkey and about 13 folks came over to partake in a great feast. Before the game a few of us got together to play some softball. I managed to make it out there and hit some balls for the first time since seventh grade. I think that's the last time I was forced to play sports and I remember getting hit in the forehead with a bat as a classmate continued to pitch after the bell rang...The rule was clearly "STOP PLAYING BALL AFTER THE BELL RINGS" to avoid such mishaps as my face. I remember my head being pretty swollen, but I don't think I had a concussion or anything...Saturday Dan and I spent the day putting up my new training board. It looks great and is quite sturdy - pics to follow soon enough. He's got a bit of the climber's elbow and my forearms and fingers are getting pretty strained from all of the intense climbing (read: an hour at the gym about four times a week). It pains me to take time off from the gym, but I think it best, even though Dan told me there were some new routes setup. Friday was a nice evening filled with tasty sushi...

Adam sent this gem via someecards.com:


It's only Monday night and I'm already thinking about the weekend...This week Horsefeathers plays in Moscow on Wednesday at the Nuart theater - Christ Church venue, but if you ignore the creepy vibe it should be a great venue. Tomorrow is an interesting lecture about Toxic bodies and the history of endocrine disruptors in the environment or something like that. Friday is the Wild Game feed that is a fundraiser for AFS. We have it at the Moose Lodge and it should be fun because there is beer. Simon is going to donate a piece which will be pretty great and quite generous of him - I can't wait to see it. Bmac is out of town this week, his father-in-law passed away after a long fight against cancer. It's too bad he'll miss the Game Feed since it's his last major presidential duty after a year of working really hard. I'm on Tugger duty this weekend which will be nice that Hannah has a friend that she, for the most part, gets a long with.

I'm in an odd place right now...unsure why exactly, although there are a few cues...I think it's just about the time of the month that I go through this...I haven't talked to Simon or Anthony in ages, and I'm a bit behind on the going-ons of most friends...love has a way of swallowing you up..for better or for worse, I suppose it's just hard to keep your head afloat in general sometimes.

Oh yes, last week Ellen and I attended a Seder - but you say..."You're not Jewish." Well, no shit, and we got called out on not being Jewish within 5 minutes of arriving at the ceremony. Christ. Ellen has this love of Seders for some reason and I saw a flyer up at the SUB so I told her about it. This meant I was to attend said Seder with her which I was unaware of - apparent Jewish ceremony to invite your best Asian friend in town to such event...I agreed (there was free food and wine advertised). And we were soon enough at the 1912 Center with about 20 other people...I don't know if you remember this, but I'm Asian..in Idaho...Moscow Idaho...and we went to a Jewish Seder...There are a few things about this picture that just don't add up...So in any case, a nice Jewish boy welcomed us to the dinner and after 3.5 minutes of small talk about school this dialogue ensued:

"So, are you guys Jewish?"

Us: "Um...well...the answer is....no (no eye contact made)...but we like Jews! Do you want us to leave?"

"Oh right, that's exactly how we want you to go away from this , 'Those Jews were ok, but they made us leave Seder because we weren't Jewish'...no no, please stay"

Us: "um, ok, thanks!"

....he immediately left our vicinity and we were left to our own awkward selves...

Well, we stayed for about 2.5 hours while going through our Seder books, reading passages about I'm not sure what exactly, and listening to others say things in Hebrew. We drank wine at certain times while leaning to the left, dipped a hard boiled egg in salty water, ate matzoh sent from Israel, and horseradish with romaine lettuce, and drank more wine...We finally used the excuse of 10 o' clock to skip out of the rest of the Seder which seems especially unholy, but whatever...sigh...The two rabbis who led the service were actually really cute. I think I learned some stuff, but I've forgotten it thus far...too much drinking going on lately...sigh...
xo

No comments: